Follow Stuart on Twitter: @RunStu Instagram: @RunStuCoach
A Sports Coach with over 25 years’ experience, having been mentored by some of the country’s best, Stuart today works with Great Britain and England representatives, along with national champions on the Fells and Mountains.
Early in his career, qualifications and various contributions to national magazines led him to be mentored by Chris Jones (BTA’s Olympic Coach) and Doctor Greg Whyte. This led to expertise in the role of Blood Lactate Testing within the science of running, coupled with aspects of training planning and periodisation. During this period, he helped establish the RAF’s Coaching Program and Triathlon Athlete Training Schedules, resulting in further success for the team and increased GB representation. He has a strong knowledge of running technique and strength & conditioning.
Love of the outdoors and relocation to the Peak District lent Stuart a speciality in mountain and fell running. He also established Accelerate Store and its sister company Accelerate Performance Centre both of which offer a range of running related products and services from medical and sports science support to dedicated coaching. Today Stuart mostly works with the fell and mountain runners, several of whom have gone on to become English and British Champions, representing their country. Stuart’s regular training group includes some of the UK’s most promising U23 fell runners.
Stuart, continues to develop his own skills and those of his colleagues, via coach mentoring, working within South Yorkshire Run England, liaising with clubs and ‘Coaching the Coaches’ through specifically designed workshops.
To allow the athlete, whatever their goal or potential, to effectively maximise their training time and through increased knowledge to be able to gain a greater understanding of their bodies reaction to exercise therefore enabling the athlete to become as self-sufficient as possible.
Qualifications and Working Experience:
BTA Level II - Sports Academy Sports Nutrition - Diploma: Sports Psychology - Heart Rate Training - Mountain Bike Technical Leader
British Athletics: Leader in Running Fitness, Fell and Trail Coach in Running Fitness
With Sports Coach UK (National Coaching Foundation)
Imagery Training - Working With Children - Coaching Methods & Communication - Sports Science & Coaching - Health & Safety in Coaching - Analysing Your Coaching
Performance Training with U23 Fell Running Group:
- Anna Hoogkamar, 2nd U23 English Fell Championships 2016.
- Meg Wilson, Represents Northern Ireland
- Alex Hinchcliffe, Regional U23 Winner
- Jack Crownshaw, 1st Open U18 British Mountain Championships 2015, Yorkshire representation.
Other Coaching Work, including:
- Coaching Coaches & Run Leaders for ‘Run England & Run Together’ South Yorkshire.
- Worked with Hearts AAA, workshopping the role of Sports and Science for Club Athletes.
- Head of Coaching for the RAF Triathlon Association, until 2001. Team won the Inter-services Championship 2000 & 2001, plus an increase in number of athletes competing for Great Britain.
- Provided Coaching support for RAF Death Valley Teams in 2001 & 2002.
- Coach Workshops for Eastern Region Triathlon and Fairlands Valley Triathlon Coaching Staff